Friday, January 22, 2010

Hearty Lentil Soup!

Today I made lentil soup from some of the vegetables I got. I used 3 potatoes, 2 carrots, 2 onions from the shipment! I suspect this soup is going to last me for a while. I didn't really follow a recipe. I used the following spices: garlic, cumin, coriander, cayenne, black pepper, salt and fresh cilantro (added at the end). It is a bit spicy in the back of your throat, but not overpoweringly so. In addition to the lentils (about 2 cups) and the ingredients mentioned above, I used 1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes and their juice, so the soup is colorful and healthy.

I still have 1 onion, 1 carrot and 3 turnips that will go into a spicy white bean and turnip soup (will be made on a date yet to be decided). My roommate and I finished the last of the sweet chili lime tofu with collard greens and wheat noodles today. She loved the dish and so did I! I think lime zest makes everything delicious!

So what to do with green bell pepper, the broccoli and the romaine lettuce? Perhaps I should tell them that I don't want lettuce because I am not a huge fan of salads in the winter time. It is hard to make the substantial enough. I was thinking I could make a dinner salad of romaine lettuce, avocado, roast red peppers and maybe my own dressing involving garlic, mint, cilantro, lime juice and olive oil? I have no idea if those things taste good together.

I can't believe I have almost finished all the fruit in my shipment. But mostly eating my own food for the last week makes me feel really healthy and thinner in fact. Sometimes I feel like my own food isn't fatty enough, because I often find myself craving fatty food. But maybe they will go away after a while! Anyway, that's all for now folks! :)

No comments: