Friday, December 08, 2006

Socks for my Mom!


I'm knitting plain socks in STR Saratoga for my mom. They are as simple as they could possibly be (with a flap heel -- I really need to learn how to do a short row heel). Anyone want to teach me? Hopefully I will be done with them in time (in time for going home for the holidays). The pattern is pretty interesting -- it kind of reminds me of a Tiger. I wanted to see how the colors would come out if I just knitted the socks plain. I think that if I did a short row heel, the weird pooling things wouldn't happen around the heel. I actually plan to use some of STR to make mittens because I think that would be fun!

4 comments:

Katie said...

Love the socks. Your Mum's a lucky woman. I can teach you how to short row the heel, if you like. I've been using this pattern, which has pretty explicit instructions (ie. you probably don't actually need me to show you, but I'm happy to do so if you want).

http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATTuniversalsock.html

Minh said...

Such nice colors! You could try an afterthought heel too. This website has a lot of links for toes and heels.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8mnnp/toesheels.html

Anonymous said...

The socks are lovely....I use a heel flap and I'm happy....should I conquer short rows....does that negate the heel flap? I have so much to learn....ugh!

Mango Kiwi said...

Short rows can be used in place of a heel flap. Some think they look better, some don't like picking up the stitches that heel flaps require. Others think that heel flaps are sturdier. I am by no means an expert. I thought that a short row heel would be better in this case since the heel flap caused some strange pooling.